23 July, 2008

Roov

I just started playing around with a new site that is mobilizing users to get off the keyboard and meet up for real life "gatherings." The premise of Roov.com is to connect Christians in ever-widening concentric circles from Local Zipcode to Nation-Wide.

"Roovs are the the things you have done, are doing, or that you want to do. They’re a reflection of your everyday life. Share your
Experiences to inspire, ask questions to get answers and help others accomplish their goals." You pick from available roovs or create your own.

From the Roov Blog:

I had dinner a few nights ago with a guy named Dave that I just recently met. I met him at an art show of a mutual friend. He made me see my friends in a completely different light. He started with asking a few questions that together were very, very telling.

First, he asked me, “How many friends do you have on online on your ROOV thing and Facebook and whatever you have?” I told him I have over a thousand and he scoffed. He asked, “How many friends do you have?” I started to think of how many of the 1000+ people I would call a friend. In the middle of my thinking and making that “uhhhhhhhh…” sound we all make, as we enter into that pensive state of pondering, he stopped me. He asked me the exact same thing, but with a tone that let me know he was asking a deeper question than I was answering.


It turns out, the odds against having a true friend are pretty steep.

This site is building off of the model of online social networking that has made Barack Obama's grass-roots campaign so successful; its another attempt at melding high-tech with high-touch with an passionate/activist/christian spin added to the mixture. I'm very interested in new initiatives that are aimed at improving community by harnessing the power of the intertubes.

Some of my Roovs:
Create Music
Grow an Urban Garden
Go Skydiving

Change Christian Art and Music

2 comments:

ldamoff said...

I am glad i can call you a friend (a real one), even though we mostly interact over blogger and facebook these days.

love,
luke

Anonymous said...

have you read this?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4392846.ece

Sacreligious...but amusing ;-)